The following article tells the story of a woman whose husband passed away because of an pneumococcal infection. He did not know there was a vaccine that he should have received because he was in a high risk group.
By Martha Sands-Duff
My name is Martha Sands-Duff. My husband, Kenneth was a 47-year-old healthy male, weighing 235 pounds on July 10, 2007.
We had just completed the 4th of July holiday weekend when my husband and I placed concrete barriers in our yard. My husband worked very hard to get this task completed; however, he was not sick or feeling bad in any way.
On Monday, July 9, 2007, Kenneth went to work, came home, ate barbecue and we had normal evening like every other after work.
During the night, my husband awoke violently ill. He had the chills that made his teeth chatter. I turned off the air conditioner and tried to warm him as best I could. My husband then became nauseated and vomited; he then had a fever.
When morning came, we called his doctor and went to the Emergency Room. My husband was admitted to the hospital on July 10, 2007; he never left the hospital.
We were told by the infectious disease control doctor that because my husband didn't have a spleen, he should have been getting a vaccine against bacteria that could invade his body. No one ever told us this. My husband lost his spleen 30 years earlier when there wasn't a vaccine against this bacteria.
My husband was a healthy male that got annual examinations like prostate and physicals. He even had a colonoscopy when he was recommended to.
The doctors administered antibiotics to try to kill the bacteria, and I hoped and prayed every day that my husband could survive this illness. The doctors never gave me any false hope, however, and they would always say "if he survives."
My husband was admitted on Tuesday evening. On Wednesday, his skin appeared to be burned and the muscles in his arms and legs started to blister. The doctors explained that my husband was septic from the bacteria which had invaded his blood system. After the blisters, my husband's hands and feet started to lose circulation. His hands started to turn black and his feet began to look dried up. He was on dialysis every day, his liver failed and he could not breathe on his own. Eventually his bowels stopped functioning. My husband was a really nice guy who deserved to have the knowledge needed to save his life; however, it was not provided to us. We had never seen advertising like you see for flu shots or immunizations; we just didn't know that something as simple as a vaccine could have saved his life.
I've read so much information regarding pneumococcal/streptococcal bacteria since that time. It was indicated that an individual who survived this deadly disease could possibly be a quadruple amputee and have hearing loss as well.
As a result of not getting the vaccine against this deadly bacteria, my husband died on August 5, 2007. I continue to be devastated by my loss; it is all so unbelievable to me.
I am writing this article in hopes that others who read this and don't have a spleen, have a spleen that doesn't function properly or are aware of someone who doesn't have a spleen contact their healthcare professional and obtain the vaccine that could possibly save their life or the life of someone they know or love.
In addition to people who do not have a spleen or have a spleen that does not function properly, the following groups of people are recommended to get a pneumococcal vaccine because they are at increased risk of disease:
We would like to hear from you. Please use our online form to contact us with questions or comments.